This is about as good as it gets when it comes to scones. A very simple recipe that never fails to make a perfect flakey scone with the right amount of sweetness.
A tip for making these scones: when mixing in the heavy cream, the dough may seem very dry, keep working it together with either your hands or a wooden spoon until is forms a ball. It will still be a bit dry but thats okay. However, try not to over work the dough you want to keep the butter as cold as possible.
Chocolate Chip Scones
Makes 8 Scones
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick cold butter- diced into 1/2" pieces
6 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy cream-divided
1. Pre heat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in diced butter until incorporated into flour mixture. You should be able to see "pea" sized pieces of butter. Add in chocolate chips and place in freezer for 5 mins.
3. Remove from freezer and pour in 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp heavy cream, working dough with hands or wooden spoon until it comes together. Dough tends to be a bit dry.
4. Turn dough onto floured surface, or onto a sheet of wax paper and press into a 7" round circle and about 1.5" thickness. Cut into quarters and then again into 8 seperate triangles.
5. Place each scone onto the parchment paper. Brush with remaing 2 tbsp of heavy cream and bake at 450 degrees for 13-15 mins until golden brown.