I really love using the slow cooker all year but by this time I start getting a little sick of the same old stews and slow cooker dishes. This recipe for BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches transports you to summer time as the winter weather gets colder. It is a healthier version of pulled pork and is so easy to make.
BBQ pulled chicken sandwiches
Makes 4 sandwiches
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 onion- thinly sliced
1 cup ketchup
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp cumin
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp molasses
4 potato hamburger rolls
1. Place chicken and onion in the bottom of your slow cooker.
2. In a separate bowl combine the ketchup, brown sugar, chili powder, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, cumin, cider vinegar and molasses.
3. Pour sauce over chicken and onions and mix together.
4. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
5. When you are ready to serve, remove the chicken and shred with two forks.
6. Place the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and coat with the sauce.
7. Scoop out the shredded chicken onto hamburger roll and serve immediately.