Blueberry Pancakes with Warm Blueberry Compote
Serves 4 (Recipe from Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone)
18 oz fresh blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
1 zest and juice of lemon
1 tsp fresh mint leaves- chopped *optional
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
4 large eggs-seperated
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 fresh blueberries
3 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for serving
1. To make compote: combine blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and 2 tbsp of lemon juice in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes, until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and gently stir in chopped mint, if using. Keep warm.
2. To make the pancakes: whisk together ricotta cheese and egg yolks in a large bowl. Whisk in buttermilk.
3. Sift flour, salt, baking powder into the ricotta mixture and stir until just combined.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold egg whites into batter in 2 batches.
5. Gently fold blueberries into batter.
6. Melt some of the butter onto a griddle pan, electric frying pan or non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Ladle battor on the griddle 3-4 pancakes at a time. Cook about 3 minutes per side, or until they become golden brown and are just cooked through.
7. Transfer pancakes to plates and top with blueberry compote and a pad of butter.