The Giants are world champions!!!!! What a exciting (and stressful) night of football. This household of giants fans is having a very happy Monday morning!
Football season comes to and end....Next up: Valentines Day
Valentines Day scones, obviously named after the vibrant red color the strawberries give these scones. This is another variation on my favorite basic scone recipe. I have added lemon zest to the dough and topped each scone with slices strawberries and a little sugar.
Valentines Day Strawberry Lemon Scones
Makes 8 scones
2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Zest of 1 lemon
1 stick cold butter- diced into 1/2" pieces
1/2 pound of sliced strawberries (you can use thawed frozen berries or fresh)
1 cup heavy cream-divided
1 tbsp raw sugar
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and lemon zest. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in diced butter until incorporated into flour mixture. You should be able to see "pea" sized pieces of butter. Place in freezer for 5 mins.
3. Remove from freezer and pour in 3/4 cup plus 2 tbsp cup heavy cream, working dough with hands or wooden spoon until it comes together. Dough tends to be a bit dry.
4. Turn dough onto floured surface, or onto a sheet of wax paper and press into a 7" round circle and about 1.5" thickness. Cut into quarters and then again into 8 separate triangles.
5. Place a few slices of strawberries on each scone. Press down slightly. Place each scone onto the parchment paper. Brush with remaining 2 tbsp of heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 450 degrees for 13-15 mins until golden brown.