I will continue Valentines Day week with this recipe for homemade "Nutella" Tart. This is a very rich, chocolate and hazelnut tart with a buttery flaky crust. If you enjoy Nutella chocolate spread you will definitely love this dessert.
I would recommend reading through the recipe before starting and plan how you would like to proceed with each step. I would bake the tart shell first (even the day before) and let it cool completely and then proceed with the rest of the recipe. If you would like to simplify this recipe you can purchase dough from the grocery store. I have highlighted all the resting and bake times to make it easier for you to plan ahead.
Homemade "Nutella" Tart
Serves 10-12 (recipe from Flour by Joanne Chang)
1 1/2 Hour Prep Time plus 3-4 hours chill time
1 cup whole hazelnuts (140 grams)
2 cups heavy cream (480 grams)
1 pound milk chocolate-chopped (454 grams)
2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate-chopped (56 grams)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
10" tart shell (recipe below)
1. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
2. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10-12 minutes; stirring occasionally. Transfer to plate and set aside to cool.
3. Set aside 15-20 hazelnuts for garnish and place half of the remaining nuts in food processor, pulse
until finely ground. Roughly chop the other half of the hazelnuts. Set aside separately.
4. In a small saucepan, combine the cream and finely ground nuts and scald over medium-high heat (until bubbles start to form around the edge of the pan, but the cream is not boiling)
5. Remove from the heat and let sit for 1 hour so the cream becomes infused with the hazelnuts. After 1 hour, strain the cream with a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl or pitcher.
6. Place milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate in a heat proof bowl. Place over (not touching) barely simmering water in a saucepan and heat; stirring occasionally until chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
7. Whisk the cream into the chocolate until fully combined. Add in crushed hazelnuts, salt and vanilla; whisk until combined.
8. Slide a flat plate under the prepared tart shell and carefully pour chocolate-hazelnut mixture into the shell. Place tart in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours until the filling has set.
9. Remove tart from the refrigerator and garnish with reserved whole hazelnuts.
10. This tart can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 days. For best results, remove from refrigerator 2 hours before eating so the filling can soften a bit.
Recipe for tart shell: 10 mins prep time-2 hours resting time and 30-35 min bake time
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temperature-cut into 8 pieces
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup flour
1 egg yolk
1. Using a mixer, cream together butter, sugar and salt on medium speed for 2-3 mins. Scrape the sides with rubber spatula. Add in flour and beat on low speed for 30 seconds or until just combined. (The mixture should look like wet sand). Add in egg yolk and mix on low for 30 seconds until dough comes together.
2. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. This dough can be made ahead of time and refigerated for up to 5 days.
3. Remove dough and let rest 30 minutes to soften. Using a rolling pin bang and flatten the dough into a 1/2" thick disk. On a floured surface roll out dough into a circle 12 inches and 1/4" thickness. Make sure the surface and dough as well floured to prevent sticking. Don't worry if the dough breaks apart a little toward the edges it can easily be patched together.
4. Roll the dough around the rolling pin to transfer to tart shell. Press the dough well into the sides and bottom of the tart pan. Use any extra bits to patch up any tears. Make sure the entire surface is well covered. Trim the edge of the dough so it is even with the pan.
5. Refrigerate dough for 30 mins to allow the gluten to relax and prevent shrinkage in the oven.
6. Place tart shell in center of the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. (My oven cooked this a little faster so make sure to check around 20 minutes) Let the shell cool completely and continue with filling.