Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Fennel and Grapefruit Salad

This salad was inspired by a dish I ate at Kitchen A Bistro in St James, NY. I never ate raw fennel before and I ended up loving that salad so much I couldn't wait to recreate it at home. You definitely have to enjoy the anise flavor of fennel in order to appreciate the flavors of this salad. This salad is very refreshing and perfect for a winter side dish when grapefruit is in season. 


Raw Fennel has a substantial amount of vitamin C, fiber and is very low in calories

Raw Fennel and Grapefruit Salad
Serves 2 






















Ingredients:
1 fennel bulb- trimmed of outer layer and stems removed 
1 grapefruit- segmented 
Parmesan cheese-shaved slices
Olive Oil
1 Lemon
Salt and Pepper

1. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice the fennel bulb into very thin slices. Place on salad plate. 

2. Segment the grapefruit and add 5-6 segments to each salad plate.

3. Top with shavings of Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste. 

4. Squeeze lemon juice over salad and drizzle with good quality olive oil. Garnish with fennel tops; if desired. 



1 comment:

  1. I am not a fan of grapefruit, but I make a similar salad with oranges. It's delicious! I make a dressing of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, and a touch of sugar. Yum!

    ReplyDelete