This meal would work really well for company. You can make the chicken cutlets and roast the tomatoes ahead of time. Just assemble and bake while everyone arrives.
2 packages thin sliced chicken breasts (about 10 pieces)
2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
10-15 roma tomatoes
2 tsp dried oregano
Fresh rosemary and thyme-optional
8 oz fresh mozzarella-thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped basil
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Quarter the Roma tomatoes and place on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, oregano and rosemary and thyme or season tomatoes to taste. Roast in the oven for 25-35 minutes until very soft.
2. While the tomatoes are roasting, prepare the chicken cutlets. Beat 1 egg in a shallow bowl with a little water and place the bread crumbs on another shallow dish. Working with one chicken cutlet at a time, dip into egg/water mixture and then breadcrumb mixture. Continue breading all the chicken and set aside.
3. On med-high heat coat a non stick skillet with olive oil. Working in batches, fry the chicken cutlets until golden brown; about 4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to drain off excess oil.
4. Once the chicken has been fried and the tomatoes have been roasted you can assemble the rest of the dish. Place chicken cutlets on a single layer on a baking sheet (line with parchment for easy clean up) place 2-3 tomatoes on each chicken cutlet and spread to create a "sauce". Top with a few slices of fresh mozzarella and sprinkle with chopped basil.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese has melted and chicken has cooked through.