Friday, December 16, 2011

You learn something new everyday

In order to understand why I find the following information interesting you must know the history of coconut squares in my family. As I mentioned, I have been eating these since I was a little girl. My grandma Frances who has lived right outside of Cleveland Ohio most of her life, always made these when she came for a visit or when we came to visit her in Ohio. Before she had the recipe she use to buy them at a local Jewish bakery, they called them coconut bars.

When I posted this recipe the other day my mom's friend, who lives in Australia, said "A recipe I can relate to, we call these Lamingtons." When my mom googled Lamingtons, which turn out to be the exact same thing as coconut squares, she found out that they originated in Australia and South Africa. It also says that Lamingtons are popular in Cleveland Ohio, out of all places! However in Ohio they are called coconut bars, not Lamingtons. South Africa....Australia...Cleveland..not sure I see the connection but very happy they made their way into my family.

Enjoy your weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment