I am always looking for appetizers to bring to a party that do not have to be heated or remain hot for the party. These bite sized sandwiches are made from cream puff shells and you can fill them with whatever sandwich ingredients you desire. My favorite filling is my chicken salad. You can find both the recipe for the cream puff shells and the chicken salad below.
The recipe for the cream puffs comes from my mother-in-law who is most recently known as Grandma Chrissy :) The chicken salad recipe is one I made up because I am not a fan of mayo so I substitute most of the mayo for Greek yogurt and mustard.
Cream Puff Shells:
Makes 2 dozen
1 cup water
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup flour
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a small saucepan, heat water and butter,bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and stir in flour; stir vigorously until mixture forms a ball. Remove from heat and beat in eggs one at a time. Continue beating until mixture is smooth. Drop dough using a spoon onto two ungreased baking sheets (1 dozen per sheet) Bake for 30 mins. If you are baking both baking sheets at the same time, switch half way through the baking time. Remove from oven and let cool completely on cooling rack.
3. Once the puffs are cool you can fill them with your favorite filling by slicing the top 3/4 the way through and filling. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes about 4 cups depending on size of chicken
(You can alter the amount of vegetables added to your specific taste)
4 bone-in skin on chicken breasts
2 celery stalks- diced
2 carrots- peeled and diced
1 tbsp fresh dill
1-2 tbsp basil
1-2 tbsp parsley
2-3 tbsp mayonnaise
6 oz plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
1-2 tbsp honey
salt and pepper to taste
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and roast at 400 degrees for 45 mins or until fully cooked. Set aside to cool. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat of the bones and discard the skin. Chop up the chicken and place in a large bowl.
2. Add the chopped celery, carrots, scallions, dill, basil and parsley to the chicken and mix together.
3. In another bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard and honey. Pour into chicken mixture and mix together. Season with salt and pepper to taste