Coq Au Vin means "Rooster cooked in Wine", in this case it's chicken cooked in red wine. This recipe for Coq Au Vin was delicious and only 319 calories per serving! Hope you get a chance to make this..enjoy!
Coq Au Vin
Serves 4 (Serving size 1 drumstick, 1 thigh and 1 cup of sauce and vegetables)
4 slices of bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 4 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (750-milliliter) bottle red wine
- 2 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 6 ounces frozen pearl onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Cook bacon in a large, deep skillet over medium heat until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and reserve 2 tablespoons of the drippings in pan.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- 3. Add onion and next 5 ingredients: celery, carrot, thyme, garlic and bay leaves; cook 5 minutes.
- 4. Add tomato paste; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine and bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes or until reduced by half, stirring occasionally.
- 5. Return chicken to pan. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 35 minutes or until chicken is done, turning after 20 minutes. Remove chicken from pan and cover with foil.
- 6. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat and coat with olive oil. Add button mushrooms and pearl onions; sprinkle with pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 7. Place chicken cooking liquid over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by half (about 10 minutes). Discard bay leaves. Stir in mushroom mixture. Return chicken to pan; simmer 5 minutes or until heated. Sprinkle with parsley and bacon.