Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Short Ribs and Scallops

Whenever my brother Stephen comes into town, we always plan a feast for dinner one night. It usually consists of a recipe we have never tried and a lot of complicated steps and tons of ingredients. This time around we picked a recipe from Todd English's restaurant Blue Zoo and recreated it for the family.

Stephen had this dish months ago in Orlando and I remember him calling me during or immediately after dinner to tell me about it. The dish is braised short ribs, cauliflower puree and seared sea scallops. Despite the fact that we decided to make short ribs on the hottest day of the year (100 degrees F) we really enjoyed dinner. The scallops were my favorite part.

You should have heard the two of us talking about preparing dinner. "Bring over a sieve to strain the beef stock" , "Let's do a charcuterie board and cheese plate for an appetizer" You would have though we were sous chef's for Todd English himself.

Talking about Charcuterie  (various smoked and cured meats) ...Everytime I hear that word now I think of the show Modern Family. Funny line from the show: "That's charcuterie? I've been avoiding that on menus for years! They're killing themselves with that name.

It was my job to end the meal with a dessert. My first attempt at dessert failed because my custard did not set. I felt like I was on the show Sweet Genius, coming up with a plan B. Plan B, just as delicious, vanilla ice cream sundae with salted caramel sauce, roasted peanuts and caramel corn. Oh and a few homemade mallomars I made earlier in the day. THAT'S IT...tomorrow I start a diet!
















You can find the original recipe by clicking on the link below. To make this meal gluten free make sure to use GF beef stock and an all purpose GF flour. Other than that, the ingredients are gluten free.
http://www.wdwluxuryguide.com/ex/dining/dr/recipes/seascallops.php

1 comment: