Monday, June 4, 2012

Greek Panzanella Salad

I was MIA last week, but I am back to share some more of my favorite recipes. Here is one I make over and over again. This is a Greek panzanella salad, filled with fresh vegetables and my favorite...feta cheese. I have not tried this recipe since finding out I have to be on a gluten free diet, however, I have recently tried a good gluten free french baguette. Next time I make this summer salad I will try it with a gluten free bread and see how it goes!


Green Panzanella Salad adapted from (Barefoot Contessa Recipe)
Makes 6 servings









Ingredients: 
Good olive oil
1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes-about 6 cups
Kosher salt
1 cucumber (hothouse works well) cut into 1/4" dice
1 red bell pepper, large diced
1 yellow bell pepper, large diced
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 pound feta cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1/2 cup calamata olives, pitted (optional)


Vinaigrette:
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 cup good red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 cup good olive oil
Directions

1. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large saute pan. Add the bread cubes and sprinkle with salt; cook over low to medium heat, tossing frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes, until nicely browned. Add more olive oil as needed.

2. Place the cucumber, red pepper, yellow pepper, and tomatoes in a large bowl.

For the vinaigrette, whisk together the oregano, mustard, vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper in a small bowl. While still whisking, add the olive oil and make an emulsion. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Add the feta, olives and bread cubes and mix together lightly. Set aside for 30 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature. (You can also serve this cold)


No comments:

Post a Comment