I have made this dessert a number of times because its easy to put together and always comes out delicious. There is a layer of creamy strawberry ice cream, a layer of fruity sorbet, topped with a layer of whipped cream and strawberries. As the cake freezes, the whipped cream hardens and becomes a little crunchy, creating layers of different flavors and textures.
I recommend this recipe for a warm summer night when you want something easy to make and refreshing to eat. I hope you enjoy!
Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
2 packages lady fingers
1 (1/2 gallon) strawberry ice cream-softened (I prefer Edy's or Turkey Hill Ice Cream)
2 pints strawberry sorbet-softened
1 pint heavy cream
1-2 tbsp powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 pint fresh strawberries-chopped (leave a few strawberries for garnish)
1. In a 9" springform pan (it is important to use this kind of pan) arrange the lady fingers around the sides and covering the bottom of the pan.
2. Spread the softened strawberry ice cream on top of the lady fingers on the bottom of the pan. This creates the bottom layer. Freeze for 30 minutes.
3. After 30 minutes, spread the strawberry sorbet over the ice cream layer. Place in the freezer.
4. While the sorbet is hardening in the freezer, make the whipped cream. In a mixer, beat the cream with powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Mix in the vanilla. Fold in chopped strawberries.
5. Remove cake from the freezer and add the whipped cream layer on top of the sorbet. Create a smooth layer and cover lightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for 3-4 hours minimum.
6. Take cake out 10 minutes before serving.Garnish with strawberry slices. Slice and serve!