Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Spinach Chicken Burgers

I was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease. If you are not familiar with Celiac, it is a auto immune disease, where your body can not tolerate gluten (wheat, rye or barley) and damages your lower intestine. The only cure is to eat a gluten free diet.

I was very upset initially when I found out that I wouldn't be able to eat all the scones, muffins and cookies I am always making but at the same time I am excited about experimenting with gluten free baking and hopefully coming up with some delicious recipes. I was also overwhelmed with the amount of items that contain gluten. I have my work cut out for me in researching different brands but I am sure after some time it will get easier.

I will still be posting regular recipes and I will be depending on my husband to be my taste tester (he is the best at this job) I will also post any gluten free recipes I find worth while, as well as, recipes that can be altered for a gluten free lifestyle, such as the one below.

When my husband opened the refrigerator last night and saw the makings of chicken burgers, I thought he was about to divorce me. To Tom, chicken and burgers do not go together in one sentence. I was worried he was going to think my new diet would effect him in some ways, but we made it work. All I had to do for this recipe is simply leave off the bun or buy a gluten free bun. (The burger was still great without the bun)

I am very happy that I still went ahead with the chicken burger plan. Both Tom and I enjoyed them very very much and we will both gladly eat them again. They came out flavorful, moist and filling, all adjectives you might not associate with a chicken burger. I have one left over that I am really looking forward to eating for lunch.

Layla also enjoyed these burgers. It is a perfect way to get meat into a 8 month and up baby. Its full of nutrients from the chicken and spinach and it was a great finger food and kept her busy (always a plus!)

Spinach Chicken Burgers
Makes 4 burgers














Ingredients:
1 lb ground chicken
1 package (10oz) frozen spinach-defrosted
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 egg white
Canola or olive oil
1 tomato-sliced
1 bunch of mixed greens
4 hamburger buns-optional
4 oz Gruyere Cheese-sliced or shredded

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl mix together ground chicken, defrosted spinach (make sure to squeeze all excess water from spinach), salt, cayenne pepper and egg white. Form chicken mixture into 4 patties

2. Heat a non-stick skillet oven medium-high heat. Add in enough oil (canola or olive oil) to coat the bottom on the pan. Add the chicken patties to the oil and brown on each side; 5 minutes per side until golden brown. Turn the heat lower if it starts to get too dark.

3. Place the skillet in the oven (making sure its an oven proof skillet) and cook until chicken is cooked through; about 10 mins.

4. During the last 2 minutes in the oven, place cheese on top of the burgers and melt in the oven.

5. Remove from oven and top with lettuce and tomato. Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment