Eggplant Zucchini Parmesan Stacks
2 eggplants (no more than 1 pound each)
1/4 cup flour
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 zucchini- thinly sliced (1/8" thick)
3-4 roma or slicing tomatoes-thinly sliced
8 oz mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
10 basil leaves-chopped
1. Prepare eggplant: Slice each eggplant in about 1/2" thick slices (around 16 per eggplant) Sprinkle eggplant with salt and place into a colander. Let the eggplant drain over a bowl for about 30 minutes. Rinse the eggplant slices with water and dry with paper towels.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. On a sheet of wax paper or in a shallow dish place flour, salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, place beaten eggs with a little water and on another sheet of wax paper place bread crumbs.
3. Dredge eggplant in flour, dip into egg mixture and then into bread crumbs. Place breaded eggplant slices onto a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
***If you want to make this meal gluten free, place unbreaded eggplant slices of baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake according to the instructions above (it may take less time without breading)
4. Flip each eggplant slice and top each slice with a few thin slices of zucchini and tomato. Bake additional 10 minutes.
5. Top each slice with mozzarella cheese, sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and chopped basil. Bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted.
6. For a nice presentation you can stack a few slices of top of each other.