Here is another cookie I am making for the bake sale coming up this Saturday. This is a chewy cookie with a hint of spice. I love the combination of chocolate and cinnamon and the subtle flavor of black and red pepper. You cannot taste the pepper but there is a very slight spicy burn after eating a few of these cookies....and you will want to eat more than one!
Mexican Chocolate Cookies
Makes 32 cookies
5 oz bittersweet chocolate-chopped (you can use chocolate chips)
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Dash of black pepper
Dash of ground red pepper (cayenne) * I like to add a little more (1/4 tsp)
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Place chocolate in a small glass bowl; microwave on HIGH for 1 minute, or until almost melted. Cool to room temperature.
3. In a bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, black pepper and red pepper. Mix well.
4. In a mixer, combine sugar and softened butter; beat until well blended. Add in egg; beat well. Add in cooled chocolate and vanilla; beat until just blended. Add flour mixture and beat until blended together.
5. Drop dough by tablespoons two inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on pan for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.