Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Orange Sorbet

I use to cook over at my parents and in-laws once a week. It was a good time to experiment with some recipes and have a nice dinner with family. When Layla was born I put this on hold for a little while until I had a better routine. Now that she is a little older (7 months) it is easier for me to start cooking for family again. This past weekend, I wanted to cook something very refreshing and healthy. All this warm weather is making be crave light, fresh summer meals.

I decided to make fish tacos (you can find the recipe under Seafood on the recipe page) and for dessert I made fresh orange sorbet. This dessert hit the spot for a very refreshing way to end a healthy dinner. I made a few adjustments from the original recipe from Cooking Light.  I reduced the amount of sugar, 3/4 cup is more than enough sweetness and I served them in a frozen orange shell. Serve with whipped cream on top..yum!

This dessert is less than 90 calories per 1/2 cup serving and has 0 fat.


Orange Sorbet (adapted from cooking light)
Makes 6-8 orange cups

















Ingredients:
2 1/2 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
Orange rind stripes from 2 oranges
2 2/3 cups fresh squeezed orange juice (6-8 juice oranges)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice (2 lemons)
6-8 reserves orange halves-Place in freezer

1. Combine water and sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Add in orange rind stripes; reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Discard the rind; remove from heat and cool completely (refrigerate to cool quicker)

2. Juice the oranges and lemons and stir together. (If you are using the orange shells, remove any pulp and place in freezer until ready to use) Add the juice mixture to the sugar water mixture; stir well. Add to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufactures instructions. Place in an air tight container; cover and freeze for 1 hour until sorbet is firm.

3. Remove the frozen orange shells from freezer. Using an ice cream scoop; place 1 large scoop of sorbet in each shell. Serve with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment