Valentine's Day Sugar Cookies
You will need: 2 1/2" to 3" cookie cutter plus a small heart shaped cookie cutter (I cut out the heart shapes with a knife)
1 recipe for sugar cookie dough (you can use your favorite sugar cookie recipe, store bought dough or the recipe below)
1 egg white plus a splash of water, beaten
Red decorating sugar
1. Preheat the oven and prepare the dough according to recipe directions. Roll out to 1/4 thickness on a floured surface.
2. Cut out 2 1/2" to 3" circles and place them 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush each cookie with egg wash, set remaining egg wash aside for later.
3. Cut out equal amount of small heart shapes for each round cookie. Dip one side of the heart into egg wash (or brush egg wash onto heart shape) and than dip one side into the red sugar and place onto the round cookies, sugar side up.
4. Bake according to dough directions and cool on wire rack.
Sugar Cookie Recipe: Makes 30 three inch cookies
3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 sticks of butter, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1. Whisk together flour and salt in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl of an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter until creamy; about 2 minutes. Gradually add in granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy; about 3 mins. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture and mix on low speed. Gradually add in remaining flour mixture and mix until just blended. Scrape dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and form into 2 large flat discs, cover completely with wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
5. Take one disc and roll to 1/4" thickness on floured surface. Cut out with cookie cutters. Decorate with sugars (or directions above) and place cookies 2" apart.
6. Bake until edges are light golden brown about 10 minutes. Cool cookies on wire rack.