Saturday, February 9, 2013

Maple Meltaway Cookies

If you are like me, snowed in up to 28 inches from the blizzard last night, try these simple and delicious cookies. I chose this recipe to share because all of the ingredients are most likely already in your refrigerator or pantry, which means you can have fresh baked cookies without going to the store.

I came across this cookbook while I was living in NYC. I bought it on the side of the road for $1.00. Something about this book caught my attention. It's titled Golde's Homemade Cookies, its full of a grandmothers favorite cookie recipes, I just knew it was going to be a good book. One dollar well spent.

All the cookies I have tried so far come out great. These maple meltaways are one of my families favorite. I have been making them ever since I bought this book 4 years ago. You can tell my the maple syrup stains on the page.

These cookies are simple, chewy with a hint of maple syrup, coated in sugar and melt in your mouth right out of the oven.

**This recipe makes a lot of cookies. You can easily half this recipe. To 'half" the egg, I usually beat the egg in a measuring cup and only pour half the amount into batter.

Maple Meltaways
Makes 65 cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
Granulated sugar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add in egg, syrup and vanilla, beating until well blended. Mix in flour, salt and baking powder. Blend well.

3. Shape into 1" balls and roll in some granulated sugar. Flatten slightly. Leave room for cookies to spread. Bake 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown. Remove cookies to wire rack and cool. Serve warm or a room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment