If you're in the mood for Chinese take out try this recipe. This meal will probably get on your table faster and is significantly healthier for you. The original recipe comes from the cookbook Cook Yourself Thin. I have added a few ingredients, I will include them as options in the recipe below.
Serve this stir fry with brown rice. One serving without rice is 290 calories and 1 serving with rice brings it to 465 calories. Enjoy!!
Sweet and Sour Pork and Vegetable Stir Fry
1 tbsp dry sherry
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce (or GF soy sauce)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 lb boneless pork chops-cut into 1" cubes
1 small can of diced pineapple
1 tbsp ketchup
1/2 tsp white vinegar
2 tbsp canola oil
1 red onion-cut into 1" cubes
2 peppers (red or green)-cut into 1" cubes
1 cup snap peas- cut in half or thirds (I added in this ingredient)
1 1/2 cups brown rice
3 cups chicken stock
1. Combine sherry, pepper, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp sugar in a medium bowl. Add the cubes of pork and toss to coat. Let marinate in the refrigerator.
2. Stir together 2 tbsp of pineapple juice from can, ketchup, vinegar, remaining 1 tbsp of soy sauce and remaining 1 tsp of sugar in a small bowl.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick skillet over med-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add in onion and cook until slightly soft;3-5 minutes (stirring to prevent burning). Transfer too a dish and set aside.
4. Add another 1 tbsp of oil and in the peppers and snap peas; cook stirring occansionally until slightly soft and browned; about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to same dish as onions.
5. Heat remaining tbsp of oil over med-high heat. Add in pork cubes, arranging in single layer. Cook until browned on all sides; about 3-5 minutes. Add the vegetables back to the pan.
6. Add in the diced pineapple from the can (discard any remaining liquid) to the pork and vegetables. Add the sauce to the pan and stir to coat everything. Cook 2-3 minutes until slightly thickened.
7. Divide rice among dishes and add the pork and vegetables on top. Drizzle with extra sauce and serve immediately.
To make rice: Bring chicken stock to a boil in a medium saucepan and add rice. Cover with lid and let simmer for 20-30 mins. Using a fork, fluff the rice and serve.