This recipe is very family friendly, your toddler or kids will definitely gobble this one up. It's super moist and filled with fresh herbs and melted cheddar cheese. Although meatloaf may not be considered the healthiest, this recipe comes from Cooking Light and they have lightened up this classic dish. Another great thing about this recipe is that it takes only 25-30 minutes to cook. By making these into "mini" meat loaves you cut the cooking time down in half. Serving this with potatoes is a must.
**I love to use my food processor to prepare most of this meal. You can make the fresh bread crumbs, dice the onion and garlic, grate the Parmesan cheese and chop the parsley and only have to clean up one item. Just make sure to chop each item separately (with an exception of onion and garlic which can be chopped together)
Cheesy Meat Loaf Minis (adapted from cooking light)
Serves 6 (serving size one meat loaf) If you have big eaters in the family, I would serve 2 per person.
|Layla's Plate :)|
1/2 cup (1 oz) fresh breadcrumbs
1 cup onion-chopped
2 garlic cloves-minced (Optional)
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp fresh parsley-chopped
2 tbsp fresh grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp prepared horse radish
1 tbsp dijon mustard
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 oz white cheddar cheese, diced
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Heat a skillet over med-high heat. Add bread crumbs and cook 3 minutes until toasted, stirring frequently. Set aside in a large bowl.
3. To the same skillet, coat with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic, saute 3 minutes or until slightly tender. Add onion mixture to bread crumbs.
4. Add to breadcrumb/onion mixture 1/8 cup ketchup. 1/8 cup tomato sauce, and all remaining ingredients. Mix well.
5. Shape 6 (4" x 2") loaves on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray (if you don't have a broiler pan, coat a wire cooling rack with spray and use that) Combine the remaining ketchup and tomato sauce and distribute evenly, spreading over each mini.
6. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes, or until down. The sauce on top should be slightly browned.