Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Pork and Tomato Skillet Saute

I really love getting magazines in the mail, my favorite being Cooking Light. I find the recipes to be interesting and they always come out delicious. They have a 20 minute cooking section of the magazine and that is where I found this recipe. It came together in no time and always a plus, it only uses one pan...another one to keep in my records. It also looked really pretty on the plate and was full of healthy tomatoes and caramelized shallots. The key to the success of this recipe is not over cooking the pork.


Pork and Tomato Skillet Saute (Recipe from cooking light)
Serves 4



















Ingredients:
4 tsp olive oil; divided
4 (6-8 oz) bone-in pork chops (about 1/2 inch thick)
1.2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/2 shallots-thinly sliced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp mined garlic
2 cups grape tomatoes
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil

1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in 1 tsp oil to coat the pan. Sprinkle chops with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper. Add pork to pan and cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Remove pork from pan and let rest.

2. Add in remaining 1 tbsp of oil, shallots, vinegar and garlic to pan; saute 1 minutes scraping off any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Add in tomatoes and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes until soft. Sprinkle with chopped basil.

(I used pork chops that were a bit thicker so I removed them from the pan and placed them in a 375 degree oven to finish cooking while I made the sauce) I cooked the sauce a little longer to caramelize the onions a little more. Make sure to let the pork rest 5 minutes before cutting into it)

No comments:

Post a Comment