Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Feeding Baby: Guidelines to suggested serving sizes

Here is a chart from the Oregon Dairy Council that shows the suggested servings sizes and guidelines for feeding your little one. As they mention, each baby is different and may eat more or less than the suggestions. There have been times when I have wondered if Layla is getting the appropriate amount of each food group and this chart is very helpful.



Feeding Baby: Guidelines to portion sizes


The only difference I might make would be to replace the serving size of fruit juice with whole fruits or water. Luckily for me, Layla loves to drink water from her sippy cup. Which bring me to my next recommendation. I am only speaking from my experience with Layla, but she seems to drink best from a sippy cup with a straw.











Throughout the last few months, I have found myself googling samples of babies feeding and sleeping schedules just to compare to what Layla is doing. Here is a sample of her schedule at 10 months of age:

6:00am- wakes up and breast feeds
8:00am- breakfast: (ex.) 1/4 cup of oatmeal (quick cooking oats) with whole milk and 1/2 to 1 whole banana
9:30am- Nap for 45 minutes
11:30am- Lunch: (ex.) grilled cheese with whole wheat bread and water.
1:00pm-breastfeeds
1:00pm-3:00pm- Naptime
3:00pm: Snack: 1 peach diced, 1/2 diced avocado or hard boiled egg yolks
6:00 pm: Dinner (she eats whatever Tom and I are eating)
7:30pm - Bed

The last few days she has not been napping in the afternoon very long. It might be time to drop the morning nap and stick with one longer nap in the afternoon. We'll see how it goes...


No comments:

Post a Comment