Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Sugar Dusted Coconut Macaroons

Here is a simple yet delicious recipe for coconut macaroons. These confections are now one of my husbands favorites. I promised him I would add this to my Christmas cookie traditions along with my grandmothers coconut squares.

This recipe is so easy to prepare and requires very few ingredients. I shaped these macaroon like Christmas trees (as seen in Martha Stewart Living) but you can make them in the traditional round shape during the rest of the year. I hope you get to try this one and enjoy every bite.

I have another coconut macaroon recipe posted under cookies. I love those macaroons too but they require more work and they are not naturally gluten free. These are great for a quick and easy dessert.

Sugar Dusted Coconut Macaroon (recipe from Martha Stewart Living)
Makes 18 cookies



Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
5 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
Confectioners sugar for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Combine coconut, sugar, egg whites, vanilla and salt in a large bowl using your hands or a wooden spoon; mix together well.

3.  Form 2 tablespoons of the mixture into 2 inch tall trees with your hands, using fingertips to make pointed top. Place each tree on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Alternatively  place 2 rounded tablespoons of mixture onto parchment lined baking sheet. Space 1" apart. 

4. Bake until edges are golden brown and cookies are firm, 12-14 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet on a wire rack at least 15 minutes. Cookies can be make up to 1 day ahead, dust with confectioners sugar before serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment