Friday, January 11, 2013

Gluten Free Buttermilk Biscuits

Blackbird Bakery Gluten Free is my newest baking cookbook. I got this as a gift for Christmas and I am looking forward to trying every single recipe, they all look amazing. I decided to test out these gluten free  buttermilk biscuits because I am having my family over this weekend to celebrate my dad's birthday.

I gave these a test run because I never know what to expect when baking gluten free. I am getting familiar with the ingredients and most recipes come out great (some better than the gluten recipes). These biscuits are one of those recipes that came out better than expected. They were moist, flaky and buttery, just as a biscuit should be. I will definitely be baking these again this weekend for the family. I know everyone will enjoy!

Buttermilk Biscuits (Gluten Free) Recipe from Blackbird Bakery Gluten Free by Karen Morgan
Makes 8 large




















Ingredients:
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1 cup corn starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp guar gum (I used equal parks xanthum gum)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp baking power
3 tbsp cold unsalted butter, diced
3 tbsp cold vegetable shortening, diced
1 cup buttermilk
2-3 tbsp water, if needed
Butter, honey, agave nectar or jam for serving

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients and stir to blend.

3. Add in diced butter and shortening. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the fats into dry ingredients until the mixture resembles small peas.

4. Stir in buttermilk and lightly mix with wooden spoon or with your hands until it forms a ball. (The less you work the dough, the better the biscuits will come out) If the mixture is too dry, you can add 1 tbsp of water at a time.

5. Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth; 3-4 times. Form dough into a 1" thick disk. Using a 3 inch diameter biscuit cutter, cut out 8 biscuits and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.

6. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer to wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm.




No comments:

Post a Comment