Homemade Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups sifted flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp cold butter or shortening
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1 egg-lightly beaten
Rosemary and sea salt to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Sift again.
2. Cut in shortening or butter with a pastry blender, two knives or by hand. Add milk gradually, stirring until a soft dough has formed.
3. Turn out dough on a floured surface and lightly knead for 30 seconds, enough to shape.
4. Roll dough 1/2" thick and cut with a 2" round floured biscuit cutter.
5. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Mix the beaten egg with a little bit of water to create an egg wash. Brush the biscuits with egg wash and sprinkle with sea salt and rosemary.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes.