Salad with Mushroom, Potato and Leek Croquettes (Adapted from Cooking Light)
Makes 8-10 patties
8 oz yukon gold potatoes (peeled and chopped)
4 oz cremini mushrooms
4 oz button mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped leek (1 leek)
1 tsp fresh thyme
1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup grates Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese-divided
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup flour
1 large egg white
2 tsp water
1/2 panko breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
8 oz mixed greens
1. In a pot of boiling water; add in potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes until tender. Drain and press through a ricer or food mill into a bowl.
2. Place mushrooms, leeks and thyme in a food processors and pulse until finely chopped. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray and add mushroom mixture; cook 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add mushroom mixture to potato. Add in Gruyere cheese, 2 tbsp Parmigiano-Reggiano, salt, pepper and egg yolk; stir until combined. Shape mixture into 8-10 round patties.
4. Place flour in a shallow dish. Combine egg white and 2 tbsp water into a separate shallow dish; stirring to combine. Combine the remaining 2 tbsp of Parmigiano-Reggiano and panko bread crumbs into a shallow dish.
5. Working with one patty at a time, dredge in flour; dip in egg mixture; and dredge in breadcrumbs. Heat a non-stick skillet over med-high heat. Add in olive oil to coat the bottom. Add in patties and cook 4 minutes on each side until golden brown.
6. Serve with a salad of mixed greens.