If you would like to make these chocolate dipped macaroons, melt semi-sweet chocolate chips over double boiler or in microwave, dip the bottoms of the cooled cookies in the chocolate and cool on wax paper.
**Cooking Tip: If you do not have cake flour on hand, this is how you can make it from all purpose flour: This recipe is for 1 cup of cake flour.
In a dry measuring cup, place 2 level tablespoons of cornstarch. Fill the rest of the cup with all-purpose flour using the proper method of measuring flour. Once the "cake flour" is added to the dry ingredients, be sure to sift together a few times.
Coconut Macaroons (Recipe from Flour by Joanne Chang)
|Macaroons: Bottom Right|
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp cake flour
Pinch of kosher salt
2 egg yolks
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Two (14oz) bags of sweetened shredded coconut
6 egg whites
1 cup sugar
Pinch of kosher salt
1. To make the pastry cream: In a small sauce pan, scald the milk over med-high heat. (bubbles start to form around the edge, but milk does not boil). While the milk is heating, in a small bowl stir together the sugar, flour and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until blended, then slowly whisk in flour mixture. The mixture will be thick and pasty.
2. Remove the milk from heat and slowly add it to the egg/flour mixture; whisking constantly. When all the components have been incorporated, return the contents to the sauce pan and place over medium heat. Whisk vigorously for 1 minute, or until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, placing it directly on the cream, and let cool completely.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease with butter.
4. In a large bowl, combine coconut, egg whites, sugar, salt and pastry cream. Stir with wooden spoon, until combined. (The dough can be made up to 5 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
5. Using a 1/4 dry-measuring cup or large spoon, scoop the dough in rounded mounds on baking sheet.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on baking sheet on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes, then transfer cookies to rack to cool completely.
7. These cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days, at room temperature.