Thursday, September 20, 2012

GF Banana Bread

The store Sur La Table just opened at a mall close to where I live. At this location they offer cooking classes ranging from $60-$120. Take a look at the schedule for Septemper and October below. They have all different classes such as Fall Entertaining, knife skills, fast and easy chicken dinners and many more.

Last week I took their gluten free baking class. It was a hands on class which is hard to find and I had a good time. I felt the class could have been a little better with a teacher that had more experience cooking gluten free. I was assured by my partners, which happened to be chefs from their corporate offices, that their other classes are more organized and offer more helpful information and recipes. Regardless, it was fun and I got to take home a few gluten free baking recipes.

Out of all the recipes, the favorite among the guest was the banana bread. It was extremely moist and I enjoyed the fact it wasn't super sweet. I would definitely try this recipe again.

I was planning on taking a picture of the bread for my blog but.....the slices I brought home that night were eaten by my gluten eating husband and 1 year old daughter at 6:30am the next morning. Never mind the gluten filled pumpkin bread I made for them the day before. Oh well, I guess i'll have the make the recipe again and hide it when it comes out of the oven.






GF Banana Bread
Makes one 9" x 5" loaf












Ingredients: 
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/3 cups flour blend (see below)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup bananas, mashed
2 tbsp sour cream
3/4 cup walnuts. chopped

Flour Blend: Makes 5 1/2 cups
3/4 cup white rice flour
4 cups potato starch
3 1/2 tbsp guar gum
1/2 cup albumen (powdered egg whites)
Blend all ingredients together thoroughly and place in air tight container. Store in pantry if using frequently or refrigerator or freezer to keep fresh longer.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9"x x 5" loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper (parchment paper is optional).

2. Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg gradually and scrape down bowl.

3. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add all dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined.

4. Add in mashed bananas and sour cream to batter; mix until combined. Fold in nuts by hand.

5. Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment