Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Cucumber Yogurt Sauce

My husband Tom brought me home a bunch of cucumbers from a local garden this week. I wanted to use them in a different way, other than in a salad, so I made a cucumber yogurt sauce to use throughout the week.

This cucumber yogurt sauce is commonly known as raita, used in Indian cuisine. Traditionally it is made with mint or cilantro but I decided to make it with my favorite herb, basil. It is a very healthy and refreshing condiment to use on a variety of different things. I use this on spicy chicken sandwiches, zucchini/potato pancakes, or as a dip for fresh vegetables.

Another plus, Layla loves this sauce. I love that this recipe is a way for her to eat yogurt without it being sweet. I never have a problem with her trying any foods and I so happy she loves a very wide variety of flavors. She loves anything from pork belly to salmon to diced cucumbers. The only thing she won't eat is jarred baby food :)

Cucumber Yogurt Sauce 
Makes 1/2 cup













Ingredients:
1 cucumber-small diced
1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt
1/2 lime-juices
Pinch of salt-to taste
2 tbsp fresh basil-chopped

In a small bowl, combine diced cucumber, yogurt, lime juice, salt and basil. Refrigerate until ready to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment