Every once and a while I have a "scone" day and make a few batches of different scones to freeze for Tom to take to work. He either reheats them or lets them defrost a few hours and eats them at room temperature.
These are my FAVORITE scones and they never seem to make it to the freezer! I try not to make these too often because I have absolutely no will power when it comes to eating all 12 of these scones. Thank god I have a husband to help eat these! I cannot wait to bake these with Layla when she gets a little older, this is recipe I would like to pass down. If I must indulge in a chocolaty treat, this is the one I am going to eat. It is worth every calorie in my opinion :)
This would be a great recipe if you are having people over from Easter brunch. I will be sure to have a batch of these for everyone Easter Sunday morning. There is nothing better than one of these scones warm out of the oven..mmmmm
Death By Chocolate Scones
Makes 12 scones
9 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold butter-diced
3/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a food processor chop 1/2 the amount of chocolate chips. Place chopped chocolate into a large bowl and add in cocoa, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. With a pasrty blender or two knives, cut in diced butter until incorporated. (Mixture should have pea sized pieces of butter) Add in remaining chocolate chips.
4. Whisk together milk and egg. Add to dry ingredients and stir until moist. Knead dough a few times until it forms a ball.
5. Cut ball into 3 sections and flatten into a 1" disc. Cut 4 triangles from each disc and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet. (12 scones total)
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.